Breathwork is one of the most powerful tools I know to support health and well-being. It is an active meditation that uses a rhythmic breath pattern to reduce stress and stimulate deep emotional and spiritual growth. Creating a consistent Breathwork practice can be extremely beneficial, and you can do it at home, while you social distance, to keep yourself clear and calm. Here are 5 ways to create your own Breathwork practice at home:
1. Set aside some time just for you. As with any sacred / meditative practice it’s supportive to eliminate as many distractions as you can. Choose a time in your day when you can be fully present with yourself and your breath. Don’t rush and honor the gift of time, space and connection you’ve given to yourself.
2. Create a sacred space where you may comfortably sit or lie down undisturbed. You may want to light a candle, or diffuse some essential oils and have any items of comfort to you nearby (i.e. special photos, minerals or gemstones, anything you wish to bless with your breath). This is a beautiful opportunity to infuse them with positive intention & energy created as you breathe.
3. Take advantage of pre-prepared guides and practices. There are so many resources available to support you to expand your Breathwork practice. Here’s a Breathwork tutorial I’ve shared on my YouTube channel demonstrating the technique I facilitate. There are also applications such as the Calm app that can help as well.
4. Select a duration of time that feels doable to you. I would recommend beginning with 8 minutes. Set a timer or create a short playlist with some of your favorite healing songs and press play. You can experiment with varying lengths of time as you become more comfortable with the practice.
5. Set an intention. Open yourself up to something new. What do you want to release that’s holding you back? Better yet, what do you want to experience in your life to support your highest good?
BREATHE. Relax, focus, and remember, it’s a practice. You can’t get it wrong. Let me know how it goes for you in the comments below!